Join GERPISA and PVMI for a joint conference in Detroit, birthplace of the American auto industry.
The Auto Industry: Entering a Post-pandemic World
Dates: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 through Thursday, June 16, 2022, with optional excursions on Friday June 17.
- Challenges for Labor in a World of Shifting Trade and Technology
- Safety, Emissions and Emerging Issues for Autonomous Technologies and Mobility as a Service
- New Technologies and the Evolution of the Value Chain
Abstracts and proposals due: Sunday February 27, 2022, 23:59 CET
Due date for full paper (if abstract is accepted): Sunday, May 15, 2022 23:59 CET
In 2020, the conference was scheduled to run at the same time as the redesigned Detroit Auto Show. That will not be the case in 2022. We will convene in Ann Arbor, MI and at the Detroit branch of the Federal Reserve Bank for conference sessions and travel around Detroit to learn about its past, present, and future.
We have structured the conference with plenary and paper sessions in the morning (allowing participants in Europe and Asia to join) and site visits in the afternoon. Site visits will include:
- M-City at University of Michigan where autonomous vehicles are tested
- US Environmental Protection Agency testing facility in Ann Arbor
- The Detroit Institute of Art to see the famous Diego Rivera murals portraying Ford’s River Rouge in the late 1920s
- Ford’s Piquette Avenue Museum, set at the original Model T factory (site of the final reception and dinner)
- (Friday excursion) Henry Ford Museum and (if pre-arranged) Ford Archives
- (Friday excursion) Ford F-150 pickup manufacturing tour (limited availability)
We are optimistic that COVID will have relaxed its grip on the world to allow many of us to resume traveling to special events such as this. That said, this is planned as a hybrid event with the possibility to join remotely for the morning plenary and paper sessions.